Mexican flour tortillas with delicious caramel roasted apples and a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg. Now doesn’t that sound delicious? And in a wrap! It’s so easy to make and eat for dessert when you’re camping.
This recipe can be as quick or as time-consuming as you want it… if you want simplicity when you are camping then go down the packet and canned route. It will still taste amazing but for a more homemade recipe that you can tweak to your own tastes then make your own apple pie filling and caramel sauce. I’ve included the recipes for them both below, just in case. You could prepare them before you set off camping and store them in an airtight container. They’ll be fine for a couple of days.
Fresh off the campfire flour tortillas are also another way you can pimp this meal up. You can find a quick and easy recipe here on our site.
For an easy caramel sauce: to a heavy-based pan, add 1½ cups brown sugar, ½ stick of butter, ¾ cup cream and a pinch of salt and cook gently, stirring all the time until the right thickness and color has been formed. Add vanilla for extra flavor or extra salt for salted caramel.
For a quick apple pie filling: melt some butter and gently fry some small, diced apples along with some lemon juice, sugar (white or brown) and cinnamon to taste until soft and gooey but the apples still keep their shape. Add more sugar if you want it sweeter. It’s much more natural than the canned stuff and healthier but sometimes none of us can resist the convenience of opening a can and there it is!
These wraps work fantastically with different fillings of your choice- be creative!
For a fresh Mexican flavor filling, try pineapple and mango with a little lime juice, lime rind and fresh mint for the filling and pour over melted chocolate with chili with a touch of orange juice (or tequila) Awesome!
Be sure to check out these great recipes when you finish reading this one.
- 12 flour tortillas
- 5 oz jar caramel sauce (or homemade)
- 20 oz can apple pie filling (or homemade with about 5 apples)
- ¼ cup melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Place a layer of the caramel sauce down the middle of the tortilla.
- Add a generous layer of apple pie filling on top.
- Roll up the tortilla.
- Brush each wrap with melted butter.
- Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Roll the wraps into the sugar mix.
- Wrap up in some heavy duty aluminum wrap and secure tightly.
- Place over the coals turning occasionally for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Check the insides are bubbling and the outside is golden.
- Pour over extra caramel sauce if you like it really sweet. (Optional).
- Serves 12