Before you go camping, you have to pack everything you will need for a successful trip! By far, the most essential item that should be on your list is a tent. Without it, you would be exposed to the elements and to potentially dangerous animals. You need to get a tent ASAP!
If you would like some tips for sleeping comfortably in a tent after you buy one, be sure to check out our article- 8 Real Tips For Sleeping Comfortably In A Tent (Easy to do advice)
You know you need one, but you might be on a tight budget or you do not know where to look. That’s okay! There are camping tents out there for any budget and any size group for any trip you’ll be taking.
So how much are camping tents?
Here are the average prices for most types of tents-
The average price for a 2 person camping tent is $50-$60.
The average price for a 4 person tent is $125-$150.
The average price for a 6 person tent is $150-$160.
The average price for an 8 person tent is $200.
The average price for a good 3 season tent is $90
The average price for a 4 season tent is $110
Of course, the prices will vary by brand and style and there are low end and high-end tents. We will walk you through some of our choices so that you can get an even better idea of what you will get for the price.
Clickable Table Of Contents
What Affects the Price of a Camping Tent?
Before we look at some of the best camping tents on the market, let’s talk about what affects the price of each one to help you get a better understanding of what you can expect the average to be. These factors are:
- The group size. If you are going camping with only one or two other people, you will not need a tent meant for 10 people. It’s fair to say that the less fabric your tent needs to be manufactured, the less it will cost you. The bigger the tent, the higher the cost.
- The features. Tents come with all sorts of different features like weatherproofing materials, bug nets, shade rooms, etc. The more added on, the more you pay. At that point, you are paying less than you would for separate parts, so take the deals where you can find them!
- The climate. Depending on when and where you want to go camping, you will experience a certain set of climates and weather patterns you will need to be prepared for. In that case, you’ll want to consider buying a 3 or 4 season tent.
Now that you know what you are dealing with, let’s go over some examples of what you can get and how much it will cost you and your group members.
Best 2 Person Camping Tents For The Price
If you plan to go on your trip with your honey, your kid, or even just a friend, you need a tent that is big enough for both of you and your gear without being too big or heavy. With any of the following models, you won’t have to feel cramped or too overburdened!
- Coleman Dome Tent. If you are looking for a tent that everybody loves, you can count on Coleman to deliver. This is available on Amazon for anywhere from $45-$70, depending on whether you are a casual member or a Prime user and who you buy from. This gives you the most bang for your buck without ripping you off! The tent ishighly rated with almost 7,000 reviews.
- Bessport Camping Tent. For any pair of campers who prefer to keep things lightweight, this tent made by Bessport is just perfect. It is specifically made for backpackers and campers who will be braving rainy climates, so you will be covered no matter what you encounter in the wilderness. This tent is available for around $80 (though the price is subject to change.) For all of the features you get, this is absolutely a steal. Over 60 people love it, so why not try it out and see for yourself?
- Kelty Grand Mesa Tent. Some people really having to deal with a pole being right in the middle of their already very limited living space. That is understandable, to say the least! You and your camping buddy would not have to worry about that anymore with this 2-person tent. While it is in the pricier range of what you’ve seen so far, I’d say it is worth the extra money for a freestanding tent. If this sounds perfect for you, check out the price on Amazon. Around $115 at the time this post was written.
Best 4 Person Camping Tents For The Price
A bigger group of campers requires roomier tents, of course. With that extra space comes a higher price, but you have to weigh your priorities in what you want out of your shelter. If you want to avoid feeling packed in like sardines, you should check out some of the models below for a much more comfortable experience.
- Coleman Cabin Tent (Instant Setup.) You and your fellow campers want to get your base set up as soon as possible so you can go have some fun, right? Well, that means you need a tent that you can set up in just a minute or two. If you are itching to get out and go kayaking before the sun sets, then this tent by the much loved Coleman brand has your back! You can get it for anywhere between $100-$160 on Amazon. Your time is priceless, so don’t waste it all setting up!
- ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 4 Person Tent. This camping tent model is one of the ALPS Mountaineering brand’s bestsellers and for a good reason! It will give you the space you need with a freestanding design. It protects you from the harsher elements of your environment, too. Although the ceiling is not very high (a little over 4 feet tall), you still have the room you require at the end of the day. Get it on Amazon for between $150-$250.
- Gazelle Pop-Up 4 Person Tent. If a speedy setup is important to you as well as keeping warm and dry, maybe you should consider buying this tent from Gazelle Tents! The manufacturers claim that it can be fully pitched in 90 seconds and that it comes with a rainfly and a floor. This is the perfect basic 4 person structure because the ceiling is also around 6.5 feet tall. It accommodates most people, no matter their size. The tent is around $252, but with what you get, that’s a great value.
Best 6 Person Camping Tents For The Price
Again, the general price range of camping tents meant for 6 people will be higher than 4 person models. It’s a fair price to pay for being comfy and cozy at night if you ask me! Keep that in mind as you look at these tent recommendations.
- CORE 6 Person Cabin Tent. It is often difficult to find space for all of the people in your group and their gear at the same time. No one really wants to stash all of their goods in a separate tent, so say goodbye to that issue with this model from CORE. You can set it up in a minute and have plenty of room to stand; the center height is about 6 feet tall! It’s also made to protect you from storms with a rainfly. You can buy it for around $150-$190 depending on who you give your business to.
- Coleman WeatherMaster 6 Person Tent. This camping tent has it all – weatherproofing, space, and comfort. It comes with a screen room so you can enjoy your view without constantly batting away bugs. If you aren’t fond of gnats and other creepy crawlies, then this tent is probably the best to go with. It will cost you anywhere between $200-$300. A little on the pricey side, I know, but well worth it, according to what other campers have to say.
- NTK Cherokee GT Tent. If you happen to be a group of 5, this tent will do you a great service by being a little extra roomy! You can’t go wrong with pitching this tent on your next trip because it’s practically perfect in every way. It’s waterproof, easy to set up, bugproof, and durable. What more could you need out of your home base? If you are willing to spend around $140, you’ll be going on a trip with all of your pals again soon.
Best 8+ Person Camping Tents For The Price
Maybe the group you are going camping with is quite massive. You can save yourselves from buying multiple tents if you check out the sizeable shelters on the market! This will be cheaper and still comfortable in the long run.
- Coleman 8 Person Tent. If you all want to sleep like a queen (or king), this tent could be what you need. Coleman claims that you can fit up to three queen-size air mattresses inside. Needless to say, you will have a little wiggle room to toss and turn in your sleep. You can get it for $110-$220. Almost 2,300 other campers sang its praises on Amazon!
- CORE 9 Person Instant Cabin Tent. This is the tent you want if you are going on a retreat of a fancier sort (the kind with electric ports.) You can hook up the electricity for charging your phone or powering a lamp all inside your tent. You can store those charged up gadgets in the storage pockets the tent provides. Get it for $200-$250.
- 10 Person Coleman Cabin Tent. If your squad rolls deep, you need a tent that can keep up with you all. Coleman once again takes home the gold medal for a quality tent with room to spare for everyone! It is also especially dark so you can sleep in longer; the dark color keeps the inside of the tent cooler ultimately as well. You won’t be waking up in a puddle, either. The bathtub-shaped floor keeps water out so you can dream dryly. If you buy it on Amazon, you can expect to pay $230-$400.
- CORE 11 Person Family Cabin Tent. Tall campers are really going to appreciate this tent because its peak ceiling height is over 7 feet! No more bumping your head and feeling cramped. Everyone of every size can feel right at home with it. Anyone who wants to stay dry and warm will love it too because the tent has weatherproofing and waterproofing features. Buy it for $220-$230.
- CORE 12 Person Instant Cabin Tent. CORE continues to rate highly among the best camping tents according to other campers. Maybe that is because this tent has just as much as what the others do all while being much bigger! You get the weatherproofing, the storage, and the comfort that you do in other tent models while giving yourself plenty of elbow room. You can set it up in 2 minutes and get on with making more memories with the people you love – or at least like. Buy it for around $270.
Best 3 Season Camping Tents For The Price
You know about what size tent you need for your group, but what if you are camping in milder weather and need more than just a standard tent? You get a 3 season camping tent! You may not be able to brave the coldest winter, but a brisk October camping trip wouldn’t be a problem.
- LETHMK 2-3 Person Backpacking Tent. When you plan to go camping later in the fall months, you have to expect some milder and sometimes stormy weather. Wind and rain can make your trip way less comfortable when the supports bend or a spot above or under you is leaking water. This tent has you covered (literally.) It’s durable and double-layered to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the autumn! You can purchase it for $70-$100.
- ALPS Mountaineering Lynx 1 Person Tent. Going camping all by yourself? You can get the tent that will be just the right fit for you and your gear. It is made for backpacking, so you can trust that it’s lightweight (a little over 3 lbs.) Despite being lighter than air, this tent is made to hold up in almost all kinds of weather. It sounds too good to be true, but it’s not! Get it for around $82.
- Browning Camping Big Horn Tent. Maybe you are going on a couples’ retreat with another happily taken couple of friends. You both want just a little privacy from the others, so choose this tent! It has two rooms, storage pockets, and plenty of weatherproofing. If you don’t end up liking it, you can always send it back to the company because you get a lifetime guarantee. You can buy it for $290-$330.
Best 4 Season Camping Tents For The Price
If you are one of the brave campers who are going out camping in the middle of the winter season, then you may want to take a look at some of the following tents. If you are not properly shielded from the biting wind, snow, and hail, your situation could become dire quickly. Get a 4 season tent and be safe.
- OlarHike 4 Person 4 Season Tent. Come Christmastime, some families like to go be in the middle of a winter wonderland. If you are going with your family around the cold winter holidays, snuggle up in this awesome tent by OlarHike. It’s waterproof and warm, which are the most important things you need to expect from your shelter. It fulfills your needs and is surprisingly affordable at around the $60-$70 range.
- Toogh 3-4 Person Camping Tent. Honestly, I don’t know what anyone could want more than what comes with this purchase. The tent is weatherproof, spacious, insulating and cooling while being super affordable, costing you only around $100-$120. As an added bonus, you get double doors. You do not have to stumble over your partner trying to get to the nearest place in sight to answer nature’s call in the middle of the night. Now you can just sneak out of the other end!
- Naturehike Cloud-Up Ultralight Backpacking Tent. This model of 4 season camping tent comes in a range of group sizes, though you shouldn’t invite along too many people. You can take it anywhere, even the harshest of weather because it weighs only a little over 3 lbs. and is insulated from sun, wind, rain, snow, and sleet! It has a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars with over 50 reviews. Most of them are definitely extremely positive with a majority of customers satisfied with the dimensions of the tent. Get it for $119-$170.
No matter how tight your budget is or what your specific needs are, any/all tents you see here could be perfect for your camping situation! There is an adventure out there waiting for all of us, and the right tent could make that adventure the best you’ve had yet. Just make a list of what you need in a tent and assess what you are willing to spend. Keep in mind what affects the costs and make your decision from there.
Once you know what you want, you can bring your perfect camping tent home without emptying your wallet. It’s all about sticking to a budget. Now that you know what you want, get moving and get out on the road again. Here’s to hoping for wonderful memories and happy travels in your future!
More articles you will love